Anecdotal success stories about Cannabidiol (CBD) are growing. Now scientists, veterinarians and others are studying why CBD works for animals. Here are ten benefits of CBD you might not know about.
- CBD can help with pain. CBD has become a popular form of treatment for pain management in human and dogs alike. One reason CBD for pain has become so incredibly popular is because of the fact that it has no distinguishable side-effects or negative interactions with other medications.
- CBD can help with nausea. The feeling of nausea is controlled by a network of cannabinoid receptors in the body (both human and dogs). CBD activates a specific neurotransmitter that reduces the sensation of nausea. CBD also boosts serotonin which reduces the sensation of nausea even more.
- CBD can help with cancer. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) says that CBD may help alleviate cancer symptoms and cancer treatment side-effects. The effect of CBD that looks promising is its ability to change how some cells reproduce. CBD may be able to reduce the ability of some types of tumors to reproduce.
- CBD can reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a general response to a threat to your or your dog’s health. Our body activates our immune system to try to fight off whatever is causing the inflammation. Things like poor diet, stress, smog and even many foods can cause inflammation. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) for humans like aspirin and ibuprofen are the most common treatment for inflammation and can cause a range of side-effects such as vomiting, nausea, constipation, rash and more. Dog-specific NSAIDs such as Rimadyl, Previcox and Metcam must be used carefully with dogs to ensure the dogs do not ingest toxic amounts of the medication. CBD can help reduce inflammation without the negative side-effects of traditional anti-inflammation medications.
- CBD can prevent seizures. It is estimated about five percent of dogs suffer from seizures. CBD products are increasingly being used to reduce or manage the number and frequency of debilitating seizures in both human and pets. Dogs that suffer from seizures are often prescribed phenobarbital which has some serious side-effects including dizziness, confusion and long-term liver damage. Many dog owners will tell you seizures become less frequent and less violent when CBD treatments were introduced. However studies on how CBD can impact seizures in animals are just beginning. If your dog suffers from seizures, you should consult with a veterinarian who is knowledgeable on CBD and who can make recommendations that are safe and beneficial for your dog.
- CBD can protect the nervous system. CBD has been shown to protect brain cells from toxicity in dogs that suffer from degenerative myelopathy and other spine and nerve-related conditions. In older dogs, CBD can help protect the brain from free radicals and toxins.
- CBD can reduce anxiety. Studies on CBD have shown positive effects on stress and anxiety. Dogs that suffer from separation anxiety, fear of loud noises or stressful interactions with other dogs or people can benefit from CBD. CBD can also help relieve stress and anxiety for airline travel with dogs.
- CBD can impact cardiovascular health. Recent studies have shown that CBD can reduce the impact from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, dilate arteries and lower heart rate associated with anxiety or stress.
- CBD can help with digestion. Studies have shown that CBD can help prevent colitis and help control intestinal inflammation in the digestive tract.
- CBD is not psychoactive. Because CBD is not psychoactive, your dog will not get high. CBD is derived from whole-plant hemp, not marijuana. THC is the compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties.
Sign-up with your email address to receive MaxDaddy news and product updates along with notification of special discounts on MaxDaddy products offered at various times during the year.